Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Two Months!

Soooooo A LOT has happened these past few months. Like TONS. Let me make a list and then explain:
-Completed second year of college (woot woot)
-Moved home
-Saw my old friends and enjoy every moment with them
-My mom's looking at a new car
-My grandpa got super sick with terrible news as a result
-I lost 8 pounds
-My room is getting uncluttered daily
-I chunked half my closet
-I need to stop spending money

Here's the news on my grandpa, and it's so hard for me to tell in person without wanting to break down and cry:
Saturday night around 11:30, we received a phone call that he was rushed to the hospital. He hadn't felt well all day, and he was swelling terribly. My mom knocked on my door and told me. I had a hard time falling asleep after news broke. Fear swelled in me, and I prayed myself to sleep that it would be okay. After church on Sunday, we drove to Hattiesburg. Entering the hotel room, he looked healthy, strong and okay. Little did we know what was going on in his stomach.
My grandpa has had stomach problems for about 15 years. Doctors never got the bright idea to scope out his stomach, and when they finally did, we got the terrible news. Yesterday morning, my mom pulled me aside in the breakroom at work and told me the word. The C word. Cancer. She held herself together fairly well as I found more details. We don't know the advancement, but all we're doing is praying. There's a prayer chain going on in Tomball Texas for my family right now. I've seen what prayer can do, and we're hoping the doctors can go in and take care of this thing.
My grandpa is 77. He's lived a good life and has been married to my grandma for nearly 53 years. This year makes 54. She won't leave his side but is staying faithful in prayer throughout this.
I love my grandpa's blue eyes. They're a soft sky blue- one of the lightest shades you can imagine. I love talking to him and hearing the stories he shares. This past Christmas we shelled pecans together, and I was totally filled in on the family gossip. We shell peas together in the summers and can green beans. He's one of the hardest working men I know, and he loves loves LOVES Jesus. My grandparents are the strongest Christians I know. I jokingly (and lovingly) call them psychobaptists, but I wouldn't have it any other way.
The Christmas Story is always read at Christmas, they send sweet encouraging cards full of scripture and my grandma gets all of these senior citizen Christian living magazines. They take a nap every afternoon while Gaither music is playing on their Sirius station. I drove their 96 Crown Vic, and they always ask me to drive up and visit them in my new car. My grandpa loves asking me questions about my car and college and life, and I love hearing his opinion on things. I remember him saying at Christmas, "Your grandma has been so negative lately. I love her to death, but I need a break!" Turns out, she's Type II Diabetic. All of us love the new her- positive and outgoing. She's more at ease.
We're praying that if all goes through, he can go to MD Anderson. That would be ideal for a few reasons. We have close friends in Houston, I'd get to see BFF Tay while my grandpa gets the best treatment and it would be a happy family reunion for all of us. I'm praying that Anderson goes through. I can't stand to say goodbye just yet - I mean, I've dreamt of him holding my kids someday.
The most comforting thing I've found, and the last thing I'll mention is the song "Safe" by Phil Wickham. The lyrics are:

To the one who's dreams are falling all apart
And all you're left with is a tired and broken heart
I can tell by your eyes you think your on your own
but you're not all alone

Have you heard of the One who can calm the raging seas
Give sight to the blind, pull the lame up to their feet
With a love so strong and never let you go
oh you're not alone

You will be safe in His arms
You will be safe in His arms
'Cause the hands that hold the world are holding your heart
This is the promise He made
He will be with You always
When everything is falling apart
You will be safe in His arms

Did you know that the voice that brings the dead to life
Is the very same voice that calls you to rise
So hear Him now He's calling you home
You will never be alone

These are the hands that built the mountains
the hands that calm the seas
http://www.elyricsworld.com/safe_lyrics_phil_wickham.html
These are the arms that hold the heavens
they are holding you and me

These are hands that healed the leper
Pulled the lame up to their feet
These are the arms that were nailed to a cross
to break our chains and set us free

I use this song as a constant reminder that in no matter what walk in life, God is holding us close in his arms like a father embraces a scared and frightened (or happy and content) child. I pray you always feel the same love and closeness in Him as I have felt lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment